Sunday, January 04, 2009

The bomb under your chair

Found this on a blog I follow - it's not to everyone's taste from either a cultural or religious point of view, but I found the author's take on Radiohead's House of Cards insightful. Here's a link to the video.


When I first heard this song on the radio a few months ago, I turned it off immediately after I heard the opening line: "I don't wanna be your friend - I just wanna be your lover."  I thought, Well, then, screw you, sir.  Next!  Hierothee's commentary is more charitable than my gut reaction was, and I begin to see what he sees in the song.

The interview with Thom Yorke from 2005 is fascinating as well.  Worth a read by any and all Radiohead fans as well as those interested in the intersections of Christianity and art.  This is one of those things that art critic H.R. Rookmaker called "the bomb under your chair", placed there by artists who are desperate to communicate their search for meaning in a fallen world.

Things that we should sit up and notice, and consider.

No comments: